2020-21 Film Fest: KNOW: Kids Nurturing Others Wisely
The HoCo Student Film Fest was held on Friday, May 14, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. on the HoCo Film Fest YouTube Channel.
Play the 2021 winning film in the HC DrugFree Public Service Announcement category created by David Huang, Ben Schirmer and Peter Wang from Centennial High School:
Below are the 2020-21 Guidelines for HC DrugFree’s Public Service Announcement (PSA) video contest category.
The 2020-21 theme is: KNOW: Kids Nurturing Others Wisely. This category was chosen to showcase ways that teens can encourage one another through mental health challenges, dealing with peer pressure, and most of all, how to avoid substance (drugs, alcohol, nicotine) misuse.
Target audiences can include (but are not limited to): Parents/guardians or grandparents of middle school students, school staff, and other adult community members not familiar with these items, etc.
Warning: Do not violate any school policies when shooting a video. Please work with school staff or contact HC DrugFree’s staff.
“In the KNOW” is one of HC DrugFree’s larger parent-education campaigns, so filmmakers should be familiar with that campaign before creating videos (click on “In the KNOW” on HC DrugFree’s homepage at www.hcdrugfree.org).
HC DrugFree PSA category submissions requirements:
- Please be sure that HC DrugFree is spelled correctly. HC DrugFree really is our legal name. Please do not get creative with our name and be sure spellcheck doesn’t incorrectly edit.
- A cover screen with HC DrugFree’s logo along with a catchy description about your specific PSA topic.
- Submissions must include a closing screen with HC DrugFree’s logo and contact information (www.hcdrugfree.org, 443-325-0040, and Admin@hcdrugfree.org).
- The names of the student video team members should appear on the next to the last screen and include school(s).
- Videos can be as short as 30 seconds or as long as 2 minutes. Do not exceed 2 minutes. The time does not include the final cover screen with HC DrugFree’s logo and contact information. Be sure to allow that final HC DrugFree contact screen to remain visible for at least 10 seconds, but no more than 30 seconds.
- The 2021 films were due by Saturday, April 17 at 11:59pm
2019-20 School Year Film Festival
The HoCoFilm Festival was held on Friday, April 24, 2020. Sorry, due to the pandemic, HC DrugFree category entries was postponed until the 2020-21 school year. Our Public Service Announcements (PSAs) topic was to be: “Resiliency! Just say KNOW!” and focus on building resiliency and choosing drug-free alternatives to dealing with peer pressure (social media, parties, vaping, etc.).
2018-19 HC DrugFree Category “In the KNOW”
The 2018-19 HC DrugFree Category Public Service Announcement (PSA) theme focused on In the KNOW specific to vaping or Juuling in Howard County. KNOWledge is power, and we all need to be “In the KNOW” about drug use in Howard County. Drugs include nicotine.
2018-19 School Year 1st Place Winner: “In the Know about Students Who Vape in Howard County” by Claire O’Shaughnessy
2nd Place Winner: “Escape the Vape” by Reservoir High School student Dannah Marcelino