FREE and COMING SOON by popular demand!!!
Life Skills Training for Grades 6-9
FREE online sessions DATES TBD
HC DrugFree is providing another series of FUN and interactive skills-based classes designed to promote positive health and personal development. This curriculum was designed for students in grades 6 to 9, but for slightly younger or older students, we will consider each request. If you have questions about the appropriateness for your students, email us. We encourage siblings and friends to take these classes together.
Our instructional team consists of adults with years of experience in related fields and highly talented college and high school students. Your student will learn how to handle very real situations they may face in middle and high school, college, and beyond and have plenty of opportunities to ask questions. Younger students listen to trusted older students!
This program will use developmentally appropriate, collaborative learning strategies so students will learn skills that have been shown to help resist high-risk behaviors including substance use (vaping, alcohol and other drugs) and more.
The curriculum is designed to strengthen student abilities in the following areas:
- • Personal Self-Management Skills: Students develop skills that help them enhance self-esteem, develop problem-solving abilities, reduce stress and anxiety, and manage anger.
- • General Social Skills: Students gain skills to meet personal challenges such as overcoming shyness, communicating clearly, building relationships, and avoiding violence.
- • Drug Resistance Skills: Students build effective defenses against pressures to use tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs.
- • And more!!!
The curriculum includes the following units:
- • Self-Image & Self-Improvement
- • Making Decisions
- • Smoking: Myths, Realities & Biofeedback
- • Alcohol: Myths & Realities
- • Marijuana: Myths & Realities
- • Advertising
- • Violence and the Media
- • Coping with Anxiety
- • Communication Skills
- • Social Skills
- • Assertiveness
- • Resolving Conflicts
More information about future Life Skills and other school year 2021-22 classes and events will be shared in our newsletter.
Funding provided by HC DrugFree with funding from the Howard County Health Department, the MD Department of Health, and SAMHSA.